Dan Streb's Pesto Chicken Recipe
Cast iron skillet
pestle and mortar
Pinch of kosher salt
3 garlic cloves
2 oz. basil
1 ½ tablespoons of pine nuts
1 oz. Parmigiano Reggiano (or parmesan cheese)
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 chicken breast
salt and pepper
¼ cup chicken stock
(1) Preheat oven to 325
(2) Generously salt and pepper chicken breast.
(3) Incorporate top ingredients together one at a time in pestle and mortar. You can use a food processor or immersion blender, but it will not taste the same. Shred Parmigiano Reggiano before incorporating.
(4) Place chicken breast into cast iron skillet and cover with pesto sauce reserving 1/3 for later.
(5) Place skillet on medium high heat and cook 1-2 minutes on each side or until slightly browned.
(6) Add chicken stock to the bottom of the cast iron skillet to cover the bottom of the chicken.
(7) Carefully cover the skillet with aluminum foil using oven mitts.
(8) Place in the center of a 325 degree oven for 16 minutes, then place on stovetop with cover on for 8 min. Internal temp should be 165.
Download a PDF version here: